Monday, October 13, 2014

Daniel Blanchard Interview

Daniel plays the drums for Sweet Spirit.


What is your favorite record and why?
Bat Out of Hell has been my favorite record for a long time.  I saw an interview with Jim Steinman where he was talking about the title track.  He had always been a big fan of the “teenage tragedy” sub genre from the 60’s, like Dead Man’s Curve, Leader of the Pack,Tell Laura I Love Her, and that kind of thing, so he wanted to write his own quintessential teenage tragedy anthem: The car wreck song to end all car wreck songs.   He took that concept and turned the album into this crazy …like…Roy Orbison meets the E Street Band thing and I love every second of it.  Oh…and Todd Rundgren’s motorcycle guitar solo is amazing.

If you could get in a tour bus with any band ever, who would it be.  Why and what would it look like?
I guess in like 2001, Glenn Tilbrook bought a Winnebego and went on a US tour.  There’s a movie about it.  Almost everything went wrong, but that dude is one of the coolest, most positive people I’ve ever seen, assuming the documentary accurately portrayed him. I would love to go on tour with him.  I don’t think I could possibly be bummed out the entire time.

What would you be doing now if you weren’t pursuing music?
I think I’d make a pretty good soccer coach.  You know, like City League.  I’m not in great shape and I don’t know a whole lot about soccer, but I think if I nailed those two things down, I could lead a team to at least one or two wins.

Tell us about your best friend.
Do you remember when Atreyu’s horse, Artax died in the Swamp of Sadness because he was too sad not to die?  I’m never going to put myself through that.

"I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger” What advice would you give to your middle school self?
Jesus…where do I start.  No, you know what…I turned out great.  No advice.  Sorry, little Danny.

What will your legacy be when you die?
I buried a shit-ton of Gi-Joes in my neighbor’s back yard.  I hope someone finds them some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment