Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Leslie Matthews Interview

Leslie plays the Saxophone in Sweet Spirit. 



What's your zodiac sign and do you buy into that kinda thing? 
I'm a Leo. I have found that hokey magazine summaries of my love life are way off base, 100% of the time, However, the more personality-based, here's-your-life-calling zodiac stuff is scary on point at times. For example, I'll read "you're into music" or "you're being a crazy woman right now" and I'm like, oh snap.


What's your spirit animal?
I like to think my spirit animal is an elephant, for whatever that's worth. I'm lumbering, compassionate... clumsy but all-around pretty lovable.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up on a semi-remote intensely wooded plateau 20 minutes north of Nashville, Tennessee. It looks like the Smoky Mountains, and I grew up tromping around on our land and just being a crazy, adventurous kid. And animals. I grew up with shit loads of animals.

What's the most memorable or interesting encounter you've had with a complete stranger?
I was at a campfire one night ages ago, and across from me in the flickering light was this dude with a full-on Canadian tuxedo. Worn cowboy hat, boots with spurs, and the multi-hue jean covering his every inch was torn up and old and sooo legit. I went and struck up a conversation with him about his incredible swagger... and he was literally the Marlboro man's brother. Well, one of the models was his brother, but still. He was the same rugged and handsome archetype, and we frowned together about lung cancer (the ironic cause of his brother's death) then he kinda strolled off into the shadows. It was surreal in a lot of ways and I'll certainly never forget it.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing this?
Maybe taking a pottery class. Or a crazy dance class. Before I started my current Batman-esque status as a paralegal by day, sax player by night, I frequently thought about trying out for some community theatre. I still think that would be fun as hell.


Was there a moment when you decided to dedicate yourself to music or did you always just know?
I have absolutely always known. I heard my first music in the womb knowing my parents, so music feels innate and part of my every being. No matter what I do in life as a job or a hobby or whatever, I will always have music. It's not that I'm dedicated, it's that music is completely inescapable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment